Thursday, November 13, 2008

War thoughts

I remember many years ago I watched a film about how the world, and especially Europe, would have looked like, had the Nazis won the war. It was a scary sight, but also a very interesting and eye-opening film to watch. I would really like to see it again, as I think it is important with such films. To show the world how horrible our everyday life could be; how mad, “perfected” (into their standards that is!), how brainwashed and how unreal society would be. Not to mention hateful, militaristic, totalitarian frightful, cold and with no room for failure, opinions, or diversity. It was a horror scenario of what could have been… If anyone knows what the film is called, please give me a buzz…

What got me into thinking about this film was a documentary I bought a while ago, but only saw last night. It is a documentary, with both real and fictional footage from the D-Day on June 6th 1944. Such a massive invasion! Seeing it and seeing men who had been there and smelled death and fear tell you their story, oh it made me cry. And it made me so appreciative as well. I thought to myself; what would the world be like had the allies not won this war… And that is how I thought about that “what could have been” film…

I think this is a horrible picture to see; Nazis raising their flag in MY country. Oh, it gives me the chills.

And here you can see all the flags with the swastika on it. This is at the University on Karl Johan's street, in Oslo. Gives me the creeps to see this, and it feels horrible to see that our capitol was heavily decorated with this. I actually feel like I am watching a film or some staged photo, that is how unreal it is to me. But, sadly it was the truth back then. Apparently they were celebrating some sort of thanksgiving.


I know that Norway, as a country, didn’t suffer as much damage or killings as most other countries, but it was terrible for those that lived it nevertheless. We were under occupation, we weren't free. But, even here, there was a NS party, lead by Vidkun Quisling. He tried to do a coup d'état on the day of the German invasion- He had to withdraw after german pressure, but was made Minister-President after being appointed by the German authorities. He was killed after the war, for high treason. We also had both a boy and a girl “hird”. So yes, there were Nazi sympathizer here too, but luckily not many. The resistance and sabotage was great too during the war.

In the area in which I live the Germans built a lot of things. In Sirevåg (10 minutes from me)they dug holes in the skerries alongside the coast, and built watch towers, bunkers, and all such things. Then, to try to hide them form allied air forces, they tried to disguise them as “part of the skerries” by moulding the cement to look like skerries. These bunkers are still here, and you can walk in them and all. Really cool to be in them! Look:















In addition the Germans forced Norwegians to build, what we call here; The Hitler teeth, which is at Brusand, 5 minutes from me. They’re big sharpish stones put on land to prevent any possible allied tanks driving in form the North Sea. These are pictures I took a few weeks ago; as you can see, they’re still here too. (Though sinking and being swallowed by nature... ) And they stretch over kilometres... Story tells that the locals putting the stones up did it as slowly as they could, and with as much soft sand under them as they could, without being suspected for sabotage.





Enough history stuff, I am off!

See you!

4 comments:

david santos said...

Hello, Monsoon!
This war was terrible for the humanity.
Congratulations for your work.
Have a nice weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

david santos said...

Have a pretty day!

*lynne* said...

I just saw a related documentary on the National Geographic channel yesterday, talking about Auschwitz via photos discovered, taken by the officers in charge of the "facility". Disturbing, on so many levels.

Where I come from, it was the Japanese who occupied Malaysia (then Malaya), and the tales of horror abound.

It is rather scary to think what if they had succeeded. Makes one be a bit more thankful that as screwed up as the world is right now, at least we're not under (direct) (military) rule of the Nazi Germans, or Japanese, etc etc.

So long, farewell! said...

Just stopping by with some love hun

x