Yesterday I had a youtube kick. Watched a lot of clips, amongst them some of a musical called “Which Witch” by two Norwegian women called Benedicte Adrian and Ingrid Bjørnov. I absolutely LOVE it. I might have mentioned it before, but that is just how much I like it. It is a mix of rock and opera. Fabulous. I will give you a link to one of the songs that I found. It is not the best of them, but as I only found three I think this is the best of them. The song is called “Malleus Maleficarum”. (which is the Latin name for “ The Hammer of Witches”, which is a book that contains medieval treatises on witches and the persecution on them. It was written in 1486.) But first, here is a short plot synopsis of the musical:
Maria Vittoria, foster-daughter of an influential Roman family, has fallen in love with her German tutor, Daniel, recently made a bishop of the Catholic Church. Maria's foster-father wants to marry her off to a German merchant banker, but the headstrong Maria has other plans.
After causing a scandal at the Vatican the lovers are obliged to leave Rome. Daniel takes Maria back to his family home in Heidelberg where she meets Anna Regina, his possessive elder sister. The illicit love affair conflicts with Anna's ambitions for her brother's career, and when Daniel openly declares his commitment to Maria, Anna has to take action. Daniel mysteriously falls ill on the following day and remains in a deep sleep.
Anna Regina then accuses Maria of having cast a spell on Daniel. The townspeople turn on Maria and she is imprisoned for witchcraft… Oooh pray, what will happen!?
Now for the song: Malleus Maleficarum
This is from the show in London; Maria in the stocks

These two women started early playing around with this genre. They released a record/cd called "Rock VS Opera in 1985 that this song is from.
Oh, I found one other clip now. Yay. This is a very early version of one of my favourite songs from the musical. Probably from early 90s. Looks like a video of it, as it isn’t form the musical itself; Eternally
Gee, I have to say that I am quite a wreck these days. So tired I feel I have no energy to do anything. Nor have I any imagination or creativity to write anything of interest to anyone. I sat on the train home yesterday, and tried to feel something. The only thing I felt was emptiness. Bare and numb, and my inside is still.
There is however a “nerdy guy” at work that is kinda cute. He is an economic counsellor for people who have problems with deep depths and stuff. He both looks and is your typical bachelor, and he wears vests/waistcoats.*giggle* Well, I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about him. Plus he is tall and slender and has a cute arse. *lol* I would never fall for him, but it is good to have a nice arse to look at when he walks down the corridors.
I must say sorry to all my blog friends for my complete and utter, and not to mention shameful absence on your blogs lately. I am so so sorry! I do read you, but like I said before; I am empty. Next Thursday I will get my Easter holiday, and I will be off for almost two weeks. I hope to rekindle my inner self then… I still love you, ok!
Hugs and stuff from me :-)
7 comments:
I had to put on "Eternally" now. It's really good. I am so annoyed that this musical never made it over here AND that it is practically impossible to find a proper recording anywhere! (Luckily I have the London cast recording, though.)
Warm hugs from me!
PS! Waistcoats rule! DS.
Hey there! Nice site. Pls visit mine!
Byebye
There's no need to appologize for not being here, Monsoon. I know how we sometimes tend to get busy, or we just don't feel like doing anything. And anyway, I still love you!!!!
As for your songs, they're very different. Not my style, but nice never the less. I'm glad you enjoy them.
xoxoxo
Vans
This sounds terribly interesting! Thank you so much for sharing, because this is just the thing I am interested in. I'll look it up on Youtube to start with, but I would like to hear it from beginning to end.
I am glad that you are feeling better, although you are tired, and I am glad that spring has arrived at your place. Viva the cute arse! :)
Eilen, cielo! amiga de los ojos verdes mas bellos:
Paso para desearte un FELIZ DIA DE LA MUJER con un beso que estruje tu alma!
Te quiere tanto pero tanto tu amiga argentina, Nora ;0)
hey this rock opera sounds intriguing..... the idea of good witch craft seems to hold my attention and I love the sound of these characters.... I may listen to that latin song now. Thanks for a great post! NINA
the song... paternalistic catholism displaying its FEAR and dread of women.... Shame on them!
Post a Comment