Sunday, March 30, 2008

sad post

This won’t be a long entry. But I thought that since it is almost three weeks since my last entry, it was in its place to write again.

I am very sad at the moment. My grandfather has cancer again, and this time it is a very aggressive form, in/around his gallbladder. His name is Trygve Bernhard, but people only use Trygve. I visited them last Monday, and when I saw him again today, almost a week later, it was like seeing two different persons. He had lost a lot of weight, and I felt his bones as I went to hug him to tell him I love him. He whispered back, love you too… It was terrible to see him so weak. He could hardly hold his cup of coffee. I could feel the knot in my throat grow and grow, but I stayed strong, for mam. When I went to the loo my tears started to run, but I managed to dry them off. I can’t start that crying engine, it will never stop. I am so close to my granda, and though he is old, I want him to be around much longer. I know we have to be happy for all the years he has been here… He is 87, and he hasn’t been sick a lot, and he hasn’t had much pain, his age considered. Granda said to my mum the other day; “well, we’re all going to lie in green fields and be happy, aren’t we?”… He has his faith, and this comforts me. I know he will get his peace, and I know he will look after me. I don’t mean to sound cynical, but in one way I hope he dies quickly, because he hates being so dependant, and then he won't be in so much pain. He hates the fact that his body reverses to almost infantry, and he can’t do anything to stop it…

There’s absolutely no dignity in his state right now, and you can see that it bothers him SOOO much! My mum agrees. His mind being clear and all. He has even driven a car 
up until now. God bless my granda. Love him! At times like this, I really feel that I am alone. Like living alone, having no one special in my life. I miss it, always, but especially now. But I am not going to make this about me… What about granma. She is going to lose her husband. Ah, I can’t think of it. I hate cancer, did I mention that!?!

Gosh, I’ve cried so much right now that my eyes are swollen to a state formerly unknown… I can hardly see truth be spoken. I am going to work tomorrow, but I just feel like going to granda and hold him all day. I can’t though. I am not tired, and there’s too much going on in my mind to be able to sleep right now. I guess one episode of CSI, season one will do the trick. I haven’t seen the first 7 seasons, as I never liked CSI before. So I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

Other than that, life is numb. Nothing more to say. I miss laughing. Like uncontrollably laughing, so that I almost piss my knickers out…

EV

11 comments:

Martha-Anne said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry! If you need somewhere to talk/vent please get in touch.

Take care. Your family is in my thoughts

Yudith Valles de Perez said...

I am sad too, we pray for you and you grandpa,the God's time is perfect and for we is the time that he decided...excuse me my english is poor.

Anonymous said...

What a sad but beautiful post. My tears are running as I write. Your grandfather is lucky to have a granddaughter like you, that's for sure.

Hugs

Irene

Ingaroo said...

*hugs* Cancer is so utterly pointless.

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your grand-father, dearest. And for you too. I know exactly how you feel - my grand-father died of gallbladder cancer at the age of 70. And we watched him change and go thinner and suffer through terrible pains and we could not do anything. Cancer is one of the most horrible sicknesses.
There is one phrase that touched me in your post particularly: "There’s absolutely no dignity in his state right now". There is never any dignity in death or illness, but there is dignity in a worthy man no matter his state. And when he is gone, this is what you'll remember - not his illness.
Right now I just want you to know that my heart cries with you and, if ever this is possible, I am sending all the good energy your way to add a little to your strength.
Hold on there.
Love you
Lilie

P.S. I am terribly sorry for that song of yours that I promissed to buy for you - I did not forget, but I am waiting for my new credit card as the old one was annulled, and I don't have it yet and I can't buy this song without a credit card. Please forgive me for this delay.

Monsoon said...

Thanks all of you! I am blessed to have such friends! I am sorry, but the alst anonymous comment wasn't published for some odd reason. I don't know why. I did tick for it to be published, sooo.. But SORRY!

LOVE EV :-)

Sandra said...

I hope that you are able to spend as much time with him as you can. I was with my Grandmother when she passed and it was a very special experience, and time I will never forget.

So long, farewell! said...

Oh honey, I am so sorry about your granda, it is a horrible disease.

It is always awful when we lose someone we love, no matter what their age so allow yourself to cry and grieve and be kind to yourself - as kind as you will be to him as he passes.

*Big hugs*

xxx

*lynne* said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandad... You must have poured your heart into this blog piece, because I was choked up reading almost as soon as I hit the second sentence! I will send comforting thoughts and prayers your way, and his. Stay strong, and yes, celebrate his life (87! an achievement!) rather than mourn his impending departure (or at least, do more of the former than the latter). Take care!

*lynne*

Anonymous said...

Both my parents have been sick and passed away.... and I was quite involved in the process. It can take years depending on how one deals with the passing of life ALL in all I hope your grandad is happy with the life he has had, and he is lucky to have a grandaughter like you! Love ya NINA

Anonymous said...

My dear friend, I'm so sorry for your grandfather. If you need something, just let me know.
Hugs.
Love you.