Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Earth

I’ve found out that there are HUGE differences in the world, when it comes to recycling and stuff like that, and a lot depends on where you live. How and what we recycle depends on where we live, and it differs a lot. Here's a funny-ish story to show how different it can be even in the smallest of things.

At 20 I went to Ireland, and to be specific I went to a town 12, 5 miles west of Dublin, called Celbridge. I loved it there. But, back to the story; I have always drunk a lot of diet cola or Tab X-tra, which is its own black drink. Living in Ireland made no exception, and after a few weeks I had bags and bags full of empty bottles. I had kept them under my bed, as there was storage under it. (The bed was built for the room especially...) Then one Saturday I came downstairs with a gazillion bags in my hands, all ready to go and “pawn” the bottles for money at the local supermarket. Or so I thought... My “family” all stopped what they were doing and looked at me as if I was insane, and asked what I was doing with all the bottles. “Pawning them” I replied. Still no understanding to gain from my bystanders, and as it turned out; handing in your used bottles, be it glass or plastic, was never heard of in Ireland. I don't know what the situation is now though.

In Norway on the other hand, this has been normal practise for as long as I have lived. It actually started in 1902. For the small bottles you get 1 krone, and for the bigger 2, 5 kroner, which is approx £ 0, 10- 0, 26 and $ 0, 15 -0, 38. We also return aluminium beverage cans and bottle crates for moeny. And it works well. 93 % of all bottles are returned into the recycling system. So, that helps mother earth a little! Plus, if you drink quite a lot, returning the bottles add up to quite a few bucks too. Almost every supermarket has reverse vending machines that look kinda like this:
In addition to this, we also recycle a lot. In my municipality each household has four large bins outside. One is for paper, one for plastic, one for food waste and then one for “the rest” of the garbage. Not including glass or canned goods though. There are collective bins for this sort, close to your local supermarket. Here are my bins: Sorry for the bad image quality, and also; this picture was taken before we painted the house beige.

I am not implying that I am the Goddess of Green, and that Norway is the King of this, as it clearly isn’t, due to oil and gas drilling for instance. But at least I try my best to my abilities, as do many of my fellow Norwegians.

It was "Earth day" this week. I spent the day trying to educate myself on the whole topic of global warming and all that. I found this cool site where you can test your own impact on the earth. Please check it out, be honest, and tell me what your footprint was. I urge you to do the more thorough of the two... You’ll see what I mean... Find it here.

Apparently it takes 3, 1 planet Earths to deal with my use. Yikes! Despite the fact that I am so cautious!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great inspiration for the future. Here we have little in the way of recycling. Down south it is better but round here there is nothing. Just one bin and you can drive bottles and cans to the dump miles away if you want to recycle them, but we have nowhere to store them in the meantime!

When I was little you got money back for taking in bottles and cans (we used to collect them from hedgerows too which got us cash and kept the streets clean!) but that was phased out.

DH was so used to recycling everything (you get fined in NYC if you don't) that he was amazed when he moved here! I really wish they were a little more earth friendly!

Mox
x

Rozi from Jozi said...

Hi, Well you will be glad to know that Recycling is in full swing in Ireland now, and has been since we moved here in 2001. However, we don't get any money for recycling but they do take away your recycling for FREE and there are tons of bottle banks and recycling places everywhere. Ireland was one of the first place in the world to charge people for plastic bags and it has made such a huge difference to the environment.

We need to look after our world for our children and for the generation we leave behind, we have done a pretty goood job and wrecking it so far. I am proud of anyone who recycles.

Monsoon said...

Mox: Yeah it just shows how different it really is! Even within a country. From what i've understood not all of America is great at recycling and being invironmentally friendly, but it is sooo good to hear that NY is so terrific! Yeah, I can understand Roman's shock. it was a bit like that for me when I came to Ireland. I was gobsmacked for sure!

Rose: Heey, that is good news! Yay for Ireland. Were Ireland early at charging for plastic bags? That's great too! I can't even remember that I ever paid for them when I lived there. I guess I didn't notice. We've paid for plastic bags since 1974, or at least that. That was the year the government put an environmental tax on them.

Yes, we do need to look after our world, for sure. We only have one earth now don't we!? I must say that I for one, and most of my friends and stuff, all think green. I am glad for that.

Kelly said...

wow! I LOVE the reverse vending machines! I admit it, I rarely recycle, though with a family as big as mine I SHOULD! It has caught on here in my area of the US, but not enough apparently since you are way ahead of us to my knowledge!

I will recycle! I just need to get organized!