Saturday, August 14, 2010

God?

There is no God, a woman said to me at the local kiosk the other day. One can only glance at the world's situation to understand where she's coming from. It can certainly bestow doubt to anyone... However, this comment was made due to something horrible my little municipality and also my village have experienced. Approximately two weeks ago three young men, aged 24, 24 and 31, went to Greenland to fish. Two of them were from my village, and one from a nearby village called Nærbø. They were supposed to come back last Friday, to be picked up by a local man. When they failed to show up, and also weren't on the plane out of there, the man reported them missing, and a huge search was effected. This Monday they found three backpacks. On Tuesday one body was also found, and a provisional "floating device" comprising of sticks, ropes and two air mattresses were found as well. On Wednesday we learned that the body found was one of the Norwegians. His name is Tormod Aniksdal, he was 24 and he was my second cousin. His dad, and my dad, grew up in two houses/farms only around 50 metres from each other. They played a lot together as children and youths. Especially when I was younger I knew Tormod's family very well. One of my best friends, Karin, was Tormod's first cousin, and she grew up so close to him and his 4 siblings; she would almost call them her own siblings. 13 men from around here went on a chartered plane, paid by a local business, to search for the two remaining men. They came home today, and wasn't able to bring him their dear ones. They found their camera too, and the last pictures were taken only two days after the men's arrival... tears have been shed by me, and I am sure by most inhabitants of this little village. I feel so immensely sorry for the families of these men, and I can't even being to comprehend how horrendous it must feel. The uncertainty of what happened. One can just speculate... At least Tormod was found, which is, under these circumstances, better than to not be found at all. Two of the men's girlfriend have a baby coming, and one or two small children at home... Rest in peace all three of you, and you, your families and everyone else who loved you, remain in my prayers and thoughts.

6 comments:

Garnetrose said...

I am sorry to hear of the tragedy that happened in your family and those other young men. I know itis easy to say there is no God when those kind of things hit us but I like to think God is there to see us through those times of trouble. I pray they find out what really happened and will Pray for the families.

Monsoon said...

Thanks you for your kind words and prayers. :-) Yes, I still believe in God myself, even though it can be hard at times. Those "there is no God" words were spoken by a fellow villager...

momiji said...

I am very very sorry for what has happened. It is truly horrible beyond all words and any understanding. Life is so fragile, it is scary. I hope you are doing well under the circumstances.

As to God, I think it is a profound personal belief that one should not try to explain or justify. You either believe or not, notwithstanding if things go well or bad. It is harder to believe when tragedy is at the door. But for many people it is at the times of darkness that this belief is the most important and supporting.

Love
Leila

Monsoon said...

Momiji/Leila: life is fragile, so we best live it as the best we can, and enjoy it while we can too. I hadn't done that in years, but in the last year or so I've tried to wholly live life and appreciate every moment of it. I find great comfort in God both in bad and good times. And I am thankful for that belief. During my life I've had times where I wasn't as spiritual, like in my teens, but it was always there underneath "my skin"...

Love you Leila xxx

*lynne* said...

Oh how tragic :( my condolences to you and all those affected.

Elise said...

Good you posted this recap of what had happened. We should never forget what had happened to these three all-too-young victims. Still praying for their souls.

As for the whole "there is no God" comment of whoever it was, that is one of the most typical responses of someone in grief, asking oneself why these people were taken away so suddenly. What many of these people fail to understand, however, is that man possesses a little something called "free will". Furthermore, I don't think God allows things to happen without having a reason behind it. This terrible loss will most likely serve as a reminder of our own mortality, something which is not exactly prevalent amongst people of my/our age. Many people in their 20s and 30s (but perhaps more in their 20s) believe that they are immortal and act accordingly; not taking into any consideration the implications their acts have on themselves. I think God let this happen to remind us about the fleeting nature of life. I might even go as far as to say that He shows us that He wants us to turn to Him. After all, it is said that He is closest to us when we are in pain...