
It is a seated concert, which I think is great really. I can't believe I got them. I had so much trouble with it, and spent nearly 3 hours fighting! YAY! That's something really fecking fantabulous to look forward to!
Well, you all know that I am deadly passionate about history. Actually I'd say I am almost a tad obsessed by how things used to be. Sometimes I find myself wanting to have lived in earlier times, and not to mention; to be able to travel in time. Ultimate dream! Perhaps there are topics that stand out; WW II, Pompeii/Herculaneum and the Vesuvius' eruption in AD 79, The Roman Empire, agricultural history and The Middle ages. In all of history it's the lives of ordinary people that fascinates me the most. What did it look like, how did it smell, the flavours of the time, how much more flowers and vegetation were there, what songs did they sing, what did it feel like to live in a world with no electric lights outside or inside, how did people treat each other in a village, what did the food taste like etc. It's not always the great battles that tell us the most; it's all in the details, I think.
I was just thinking about the Black Death today. Can you imagine such horrors!? Take the French city of Avignon for example, in one year 50% of the population died. In total around 2/3 of the population perished. Within the city walls 8000 houses stood empty. Now, this would have been a huge number even today, when there are a lot more people, so imagine the impact it must have had back then!! It killed around 25 million people in Europe; 25-50 % of the total population. And as usual when tragedy strikes; humans need a scapegoat, and as always the Jews were blamed. And, did you hear about the flagellants? Well, they questioned the authorities of the Church, and to show their disbelief they walked around from city to city, wearing long robes with red crosses on them. They chanted Christian litanies and beat themselves, and others, with whips made of leather and spikes. Blood floated. They were also significant participants in blaming the Jews for the plague. To them, and other Christians, the Jews had to be the most terrible thing. After all, they didn't even believe that the true Messiah was THE Messiah. So, then of course, they had to be blamed, because of their unholy conducts and beliefs. In less than a year ALL the Jews of over 100 European cities were burned alive on huge bonfires. So, Hitler was certainly not the first one to find a "final solution" on this, to them, problem... *chills* It is terrible. And what was the aftermath of it all? People began to question the economic and social order that had prevailed in Europe for hundreds of years; the Black Death was one of the most important reasons for the downfall of feudalism in Europe, and that says a lot. The prestige of the Catholic church was weakened. Even priests/the gentry couldn't protect people from it all, and those who survived became disheartened. Some others turned to devil worship. This in turn led to the beginning of the Renaissance and the modern age. So, yes, the very social, economic, demographic and political structure of Europe was forever altered. One tiny flea, overthrew feudalism and changed the course of history in Europe.

Well, that was today's little "history lesson". Hehehe...
Monsoon :-)
5 comments:
I just love this entry, dear! History, history, history! It's our passion, isn't it? I am most fascinated by the Middle Ages. That would be my favorite, along with 18th, 19th and the beginning of 20th century.
Yes, the Black Death period is probably the darkest part of the Middle Ages period which is quite dark as it is already. I often try to imagine the horror people felt seeing all this death around which they couldn't explain. No knowledge of infections, microbes, bacterias and such. They just saw people falling around them for no reason.
As for the Jews, I think that the Black Death just gave Europeans a reason to do with the Jews what they wanted to do since a long time. Sad and frightening. It was exactly like at the time with Hitler, when he had all of a sudden so many supporters - he just said and did what many at that time wanted. People sencerely thought that Jews took away their business! Really...
History is a great thing, very powerfull. Everyone should know history, at least on the elementary basis, because that's how we prevent ourseleves from making the same mistakes. Unfortunately, many people forget, or just do not want to know...
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that you also adore history just like I do!! It just shows what an interesting person you are. I have a super weak spot for history interested people you see. There's something deadly attractive about that! It saddens me how very little most people actually know about history. sadly I think we must blame school here. At least around here. They make it really boring most of the time. So much so that people fall asleep. nope, if all history teachers were like "Bob", it would be a totally different thing, but alas; it's a long way to go...
LOVE you Dear xxx
Oh, dear, you are SOOO right here! History in school is a TOTAL disaster. Especially here in France. I am still astounded how a country with such a rich history manages to teach it so devastatingly poorly! It is very sad. I teach history to my kids myself, I have no more trust in school, at least in this matter. We read books, go to museums, watch history films and shows. I try to show them that history lives and breathes and can be so absolutely interesting!
I am too so damn happy that you share this passion with me! It is a real treasure to know that I can talk with you on this subject and not bore you :)
Love you hugely!
Leila
Wow Monsoon, what an interesting post, I really enjoyed reading it. I love travelling through Europe and learning about the history, coming from a country like South African there was not much history there and they never taught us things about Europe in history, except of course WW1 and WW2. Portugal was fascinating because there is so much history there, which I never imagined there to be, but certainly and eye opener. They also suffered a major earth quake in 1755 which practically destroyed Lisbon and killed thousands of people in both the earthquake and the Tsunami that followed.
This website about the Lisbon Earthquake is particularly interesting: http://drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1755Lisbon.html
Post a Comment