Monday, January 01, 2007

Newspapers and their news

There are some newspapers that wallow in news that I see as completely useless. I can only speak for Norway, and here there are mainly two newspapers that seem to wander in these “circles”. Their main focus is on the sensationalistic news. But they also write a whole lot about our consummation, money, power, celebrities, and filthy rich people. Just before Christmas I went to read one of them, here on the net. Their headline was at that moment: “Bought Ferrari for wife for Christmas”. So? On which level is this news? And more; to whom is this interesting? I don’t give a rat’s ass, as to what people buy for each other. And to use this as the headline makes me sick to my stomach, and it annoys me. I want news that really is worth reading, not cheap crap!

Today we could read that Paris Hilton had called Britney an animal. Oh my, call CNN, this might be of interest. I don’t care about Paris and all her ex-girlfriend rivalry at all. There is a constant focus on the (filthy) rich and celebrities and their extravagant lifestyles. What they buy, what food they eat, who they fuck, where they live, what car they drive, how they celebrate their holidays, who they’re divorcing, where they adopt children from, and how they become pregnant with a new partner almost before they even met…

But the things that exasperate me the most are articles on the following, well in the department of celebs:

- How they astonishingly go from a size 8 to 4 in two weeks.
- How they get rid of all their wrinkles without surgery.
- How a woman looks thinner and more firm after giving birth, than before, again without surgery.
- How suddenly at the age 37, someone’s boobs grow to a staggering D cup. I am telling you; it’s a fucking miracle!
- How easy they all think it is to loose weight, mind you; when they have personal trainers, cooks and a gym at home.
- How they always manage to squeeze in the “wise” words; “money doesn’t mean anything to me.” – Oh how easy it is to speak those words when you have so much money that you could use them as toilet paper. Give them a normal salary, take away their trainers, cooks and all other luxurious things, and see how long they last in the real world.

I think you get the picture; I do not find this interesting on any level! And moreover; I think the constant focus on these seemingly perfect lives contribute to forming a society I don’t like to be a part of. A society where the celebrities and rich are made into heroes. For doing what? Being born into a rich family? For shaking their asses on the catwalk? A society where power, money, emaciated bodies, who you sleep with, beauty and huge houses mean more than what’s inside of us. More important than the real heroes of the world. The way things develop are frightening, they really are.

I have done close to nothing today. Tried to study, but there was no chance “welfare law” wanted to enter my brain. It is a subject which is very hard to study. As you read you are constantly referred to different laws in “Norges lover”. (Directly translated; The laws of Norway.) So the reading process takes forever, and it is tiresome reading.

I weighed myself today, and I did not like what I saw. I had planned to weigh today, and then not weigh again before February 1st. I get too obsessed with that whole thing if I weigh too often. At times I’ve weighed five to six times a day. Nutty behaviour! So I won’t have any of that. I have a plan, and I will tell you how I am doing, but not before in a months time. I am currently in detoxification, and due to that I am suffering from insane headaches. Had to take some painkillers.

Well, I guess I’ve written enough today.

Monsoon – on the road to contentment -

Bob

8 comments:

*lynne* said...

hi there! here's wishing you a challenging yet fulfilling 2007.

and yeah, I'm with you 110% about the ridiculous coverage of celebs in magazines/news.

and tomorrow, my weight loss starts for real. three months later than planned, but better late than never! I wish you all the best with your effort. Hopefully we both will get our desired results!

Cheers!
*lynne*

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie! Great that you decided to write a piece on the topic we discussed a few days ago...
Detoxification...make sure that you eat enough, sweetie. You know what may happen in the brain department...Good luck on your path to a healthier lifestyle!

Irene

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!! :)Sending lots of love your way!

Anonymous said...

Hi my dear friend, i'm glad too to have met you and I hope we will talk in msn as soon as possible.
I will explain what happened to me in english in msn..i promise. :)

Now I just want to thank you for your friendship and wish you a great new year that will bring you love and happiness.


Lots of love,
Laura

roffe said...

Hei, takk for din lykkønsking!
Helt enig med deg. Mesteparten av avisene er fulle av kjedisstoff o.l.
Til og med i sportsendinger kommer det innslag om alt mulig tull som ikke hører til der, men det er kanskje det folket vil ha. Ikke vet jeg...

Anonymous said...

Une bonne année 2007 to you and your family
Norway a dream for me
Un voyage bientôt depuis la France...
I send you my ringstoons for Fest!!!
Freeblog.tk to write your message ;-)

Deepak Gopi said...

^♥^       ^♥^ 

   ^♥^        ^♥^ 

^♥^       ^♥^ 

   ^♥^  ^♥^ ^♥^      ^♥^ ^♥^


WISH U A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR ....

^♥^       ^♥^ 

   ^♥^               ^♥^ 

^♥^       ^♥^ 

   ^♥^  ^♥^ ^♥^      ^♥^ ^♥^
Desire you: 365 days of happiness; 52 weeks of health and prosperity; 12 months of love and affection; 8760 hours of peace and harmony; That in this new year you it has 2007 reasons to smile

_000000_____00000______00000_____0000000
00000000___0000000____0000000___00000000
00____00__00_____00__00_____00________00
_____00___00_____00__00_____00_______00
____00____00_____00__00_____00______00
___00_____00_____00__00_____00_____00
__00______00_____00__00_____00____00
_0000000___0000000____0000000____00
00000000____00000______00000_____00

Anonymous said...

Here in France they call this kind of "newspapers" the yellow press. It's considered to be junk press and not serious. It is mostly read in toilets (sorry) where they are found and where they are left afterwards, read in the moments when no other information can be absorbed:)
Those who actually buy this stuff are mostly quite brainless individuals who are interested in such "news" only because there is nothing else to fill their otherwise empty and pitiful lives. These are people with no souls and no personality, no personal opinion, hense the need to know how the notorious ones live and breath in order to copy them.
I don't even bother to be angry with such stuff - there is just too much of it and it's quite useless:)

Love,
Lilie
P.S. leila.doumbe@yahoo.fr - if ever you feel like writing, dear :)