I know I should shut up about my stinking life; at least I have one… Not like the 32 people massacred on Virginia Tech. God, what can one say to such a thing? I am lost for words. I can’t say I am happy about the American “let’s all own a gun” way. Hello! Why? (and by that I don’t mean all Americans, needless to say.)
7 comments:
hi there..
it's amusing [in a cynical manner] to see the Virginia Tech incident being twisted into justification for both sides of the gun control issue: "If it wasn't so easy to get hold of guns, 32 people would still be alive!" vs "If the students were allowed to arm themselves on campus, they would have returned fire and therefore would have reduced the death toll"
Both have major holes in them... I'll probably ramble about this in a post soon - thanks for the trigger [pun intended,with apologies!]
the ramblage has started! here's part one. and at least another to follow. yikes! :-)
I've read and commented!
It is horrible what happened in that University. And absolutely crazy.
But there are tens (if not hundreds) of people massacred in Iraque or anywhere in Africa every day and no one seems to want to talk about it or consider it a tragedy.
Yeah I know. We don't even hear som much about it. But the massacre in USA the papers are full of. So I guess that they, sadly, somehow decide for us what we should know or not...
in a similar note... i've seen in many blogs now there's going to be a 1-day blog silence on April 30th as a sign of remembrance/respect for the victims at Virginia tech... okkaayyyy,,,, not that I don't sympathise with the families and survivors, but like momiji says - why is *this* getting attention when so many even *more* senseless carnages are going on all over the world??! It frustrates me how so many Americans are without a world-view!
Lynne: I totally agree, but like I said: It's media as a whole. We don't learn so much about the other horrendous things. It's a dreadful really, and also incomprehensible. And it's always kinda like; "when it happens in the western part of the world; somehow it is more of a tragedy". Why? It's not to me, of course not! Yes, sometimes I too think that Americans can't look beyond their own borders. Maybe we should create a blog silent day for the genocides, massacres, and killings happening around the globe?
Thanks for your view.
Post a Comment