There is a debate going on in Norway at the moment. Our Parliament is going to vote on making gay marriages equal to heterosexual marriages. Which means; we will get the same rights within our relationship as a heterosexual couple would get. To me this goes without saying. Why should someone have a better union than someone else, based on their sexual identity. Madness! We do have something called “partnerskap” in Norway now, where gay people can “marry”, but it only leaves us partly equal when it comes to rights. It isn’t on the same footing as a “normal” marriage.
Some over religious pastors are out with their thundering speeches and preaches about the society’s damnation, decadence and the general deterioration. How gay people are disgusting and unnatural. What gives them the right? Argh! How Christian is that? Not very! Where is the solidarity in that? It is nothing short of discriminating. They take out of the Bible the parts and passages that suit them and their ideas, and exclude the ones that they don’t like. (I’d say that would mean the ones on loving, understanding and respecting all humans) And not to mention; we are NOT here to judge!!! It is not our business to judge or condemn other people. That is up to God. Like the Bible says; let him without sin, cast the first stone”. Yeah, let’s see then!
So why should they be able to decide and judge whether two people who loves each other can’t marry and have the same basic rights as any other couple. I don’t see the problem with it. And don’t give me the thing about the Bible saying it is a sin. If we in 2007 were to follow everything the Bible says, well; we would have to change “everything” we believe in, plus all we do basically. The Bible wouldn’t approve of many of the things we do nowadays. Get real, it is the 21st century, people and societies change. Gay/bi people are here, deal with it, and get used to it. We have rights just as much as any other human being. And not to mention; we have the same dreams and hopes for our futures as you have. Gays too dream of kids, a nice place to live, a car, jobs that we like, a great family, a good marriage, nice friends, hobbies, yes, the “good life”. We’re not that different. Really. Only difference is that we share a bed with someone of the same sex, the rest is very similar. I do not see what all the fuss is about. Why should you judge? Why should you mind? Why should you hate?
Yes, that was my thundering speech. I haven’t talked a lot about this political issue, and I haven’t because being bisexual is not all that I am. It is merely a tiny part of the person Monsoon. And it is a part that I don’t ponder upon a lot, as it is just normal to me. After all; I’ve been bi all my life. (Though not fully understood and accepted it emotionally before I was 20)
Janne came over while I was making dinner, and we had a good talk. It was lovely to have her here. I needed it, needed something to make me smile. She is coming over tomorrow evening for the third Harry Potter film. Cool.
I’ve decided to buy myself an exercise machine thingy. One of those elliptical ones, as they aren’t as strenuous on my joints. I can’t wait to get hold of it. How much easier it will be, emotionally, to work out. I have to battle myself every time now, to dare to walk outside. I am embarrassed and scared when out like that. And that stresses me in ways you normal weight people can’t understand. One time I drove down to where I wanted to walk. Noticed a car, and thought “ah well”. But then I saw that it was a family, and they were playing right at where I would have to walk. I was petrified, and sat there for 10 minutes. In the end I drove off, tears running down my cheeks. Sad and mad at myself. Why must I care what others think or say about me? So now I won’t have that extra battle. Like loosing weight isn’t hard enough without an extra fight?
I think this is enough for today.
Monsoon - missing someone -
8 comments:
I believe we have the same ways here in Canada. Gay marriages aren't equal to heterosexual marriages. Ridiculous!!!
Your new exercise machine sounds like it'll make things alot easier for you. I'm trying to find an exercise bike, just cheap for now, to make sure I like it and will continually use it. :)
Oh dearest, I understand you SO well on that one. It is so hard to overcome the shyness and tell yourself that you don't care what others think, because actually you do care. At least I did. When I started working out, I worked out at home. I baught a video tape with work out excersises and did them, I also baught a bike that stood in our living room. I would watch TV or read while pedaling on my bike - was pretty cool and no stress involved because I was at home and did my working out as I wished to.
The gay issue is always painful in any country. The Nordic countries like yours, however, are far more progressive than the "old Europe" like France or Spain where gay people are still having hard times. Marriage is not permitted here for now, but many gay people live in couples that are leagally acknowledged, which is already not a bad thing. I cannot imagine how it is possible to hate someone just because he likes his own sex and not the opposite. It is such a private matter and it has nothing to do with the person's character or capacities. For me it is a form of racism simply.
Love,
Lilie
P.S. I am so very sorry, dearest, to have missed your sad day when you felt so bad. I wish I knew and could cheer you up at that moment. Be brave, Eilen dear, you are working hard, you are doing so many major things at the same time - of course you have difficult moments when everything seems so frustrating and gloomy. But you have to go on and I am sure you will, because you are an extraordinary person that I admire so much, you have an incredible power in you and you are and will be stronger than any difficulty on your way.
Here in Italy the situation is even worse... I'll tell you in a mail someday what's going on.
And I must tell you a lot of things, I guess..
I'll write you everythin someday ^^
Hope you're fine.
Hugs!
hi there! I've been absent from your blog too, things have been rather busy here, but here I am! :-)
Wow, you have my sympathy and empathy on the reluctance and phobia you have about walking/working out in public. I have something like that but on a much lesser scale when it comes to swimming - it's supposed to be *the* best all-round cardio exercise but it takes a whole lot of mental preparation for me to be willing to emerge in public in a bathing suit, thunder thighs and all :-(
anyways, sounds like an indoor machine of your own is a good decision. My advice is to set up a routine about when you are going to work out, and to help you stick to it, make sure it's in front of a tv or something... a colleague of mine made it a point to go though 30mins of a movie every morning, so he had a target of about 2.5 movies per week to watch - a different/fun alternative to x miles / cals target, y'know? :-)
on the whole gay marriage thing: I won't say much except I love your point about "if we were to follow everything the Bible says, we would have to change *everything* we do!" I gew up with everyone thinking they are self-appointed moral guardians of society, urrgh, I am thankful I am now in the U.S. where for the most part I can live my own life... but my sympathies for everyone struggling for rights equal to straight people :-(
Hei DU! Skriver på norsk i dag!!
Jeg har funnet ut hvorfor jeg ikke liker Harry Potter 2... Alt for mye edderkopper!!!
Jeg har ikke snakka med mamma og pappa enda om å kjøpe elipsemaskin..
tenkte jeg skulle gjøre det på søndag når jeg er hjemme på middag
well said,. it really sucks how the world judges. I do know that in the state of massachusetts,USA-- gay marriage and gay rights are equal. Must be a good place to live! I work at the home dpeot and equal benefits are allowed for "partnerships" I think that is pretty darn cool. We have to appreciate what good we already have in the system and keep ploughing ahead for absolute rights and equality.
Thanks for checking my art page! love NINA
Hugs.
I'll answer later to your mail. :)
Thank you Eilen!! ^^
Just sent you the mail.
Hope you are fine.
I go back to my books... I'm not studying nothing :s
Hugs!!! :)
Post a Comment