Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ugly decorations

Last week mum and I went shopping at a toy store called extra toys which lies beside IKEA. After finishing the gift shopping we therefore went into IKEA as well. You know, to see if they had any nice Christmassy things. They did have some, but when I caught a glimpse of one of the things I lost the ability to move, that is how painfully ugly it was. I swear my eyes started to sting and tears were running… Christmas isn’t supposed to be glittery in a vulgar way, but let me know what you think. Unfortunately the picture makes it look better than I reality. However, without further ado, let me introduce you to the ugliest tree decorations ever to face the earth:


Chills… Stina, whom I visited today, had gotten one of these for her birthday ion November, just for fun. Her friend had seen it at IKEA and just had to buy them, to see Stina’s reaction. *lol* Funny! I bet she was thrilled!!

I had a fantastic time with Stina today. She kissed me like there was no tomorrow when I came, and she said it was sooo lovely to see me. Well; likewise I say. She is such a fantastic person, and we have a lot of things in common. We share a passion for music and history, and we like to discuss current affairs. I am extremely appreciative of the fact that Stina came into my life, almost two years ago. Thanks to Sonans. (The school I went to)

This is her.


I am looking forward to the 24th. Presents and wonderful delightful food. We eat “pinnekjøtt” prepared in a special family traditional way, which began many decades ago. I think it was my great great great grandmother who started it. Usually people only cook/boil the lamb ribs, but in our family we cook them in the oven for nearly 3 hours instead. It gives the meat a very purple colour, and it gets so tender it almost falls off the bones. I don’t even like boiled “pinnekjøtt”, so that proves that our way is quite different tasting. *mouth getting all slobbery and watery merely thinking of it* Wonder what Bob eats for Christmas? Hmm…

And let’s not forget; the Czech film about Cinderella, called “Tri orisky pro Popelku”. Every year it airs, I have to see it. To me; there just won’t be Christmas without it. Childish perhaps, but frankly who gives a shite!? I know I don’t! Here’s a picture of her and her prince. Man is she gorgeous!! I will, somehow unwilling, admit that my eyes fill up every year as they ride off on each white horse… The saddest song ever is being played, so no wonder! *lol* I am tragic, aren’t I!?

Enough blabber!!

Monsoon

Bob…

12 comments:

Eva said...

ohh my god... I can't wait for christmas-eve. Lovely food, family, gifts.
It's kinda funny how we celebrate compare to other contries...
We celebrate christmas-eve, and other contries celebrate christmas day... hmmm wounder why

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! This Czech Cinderella film!!! I thought no one here in Western Europe knew it! They would show it every single year before the New Year's Day (Christmas being banned, we had New Year's) in Soviet Union! I grew up watching this film! I love it! And here, whenever I speak of it, no one has any clue what so ever of what I am talking about! I am sooooooo relieved to learn that there are people, a country, that share the same passion! It is silly of me, I know, but I am so happy to read this post, you can't imagine! This is a part of my childhood memories, a part of my life. There is no one in Russia, of my generation, who would not know this film!

**Sorry for all the overly emotions**

Love,
Lilie

Monsoon said...

Eva: Me too!!! Yeah I really don't know why we celebrate it on diferent days. I think it is mostly the nordic countries that celebrate it on the 24th. Must find out... Love you too!

Momiji: Yes I know! I loooove this film. It has been sent a lot here. One or two years when our state owned TV channel called Nrk didn't send it, they got the biggest storm of complaints ever. So after that they've sent it every year. I think that in Germany they send it too, and possibly other countries. Here they have a dubbed version, which is really annyoing, cause there's only one man taking. But, I am so used to it that I won't have it any other way.
Stragne with these childhood memories, isn't it. Don't they send it in france then? Aaaah, then you won't see it! Was Christams actually banned in the Soviet? That is one thing I didn't know actually. How sad!
You don't have to apologize for being emotional about this film. I am too!!! But if you grew up with this, how come no one else in Russia knows it?

Love Eilen xxx

Anonymous said...

On the contrary, I said that there is no one of my generation in Russia who would NOT know this film. That means that we ALL, each of us, know it and love it. It's part of our childhood! Sorry for not explaining myself clearly enough :) They still show the film every year in Russia.
Yes, Christmas was banned during Soviet Union. It was banned because it is a religious holiday, and communists banned and forbidden ANY religion. It was against the law and you could go to prison or even be executed for practicing a religion. We were forbidden to go to churches and celebrate any religious holiday and we were all taught that God, or any other deity or entity, does not exist. They destroyed half of the churches and cathedrals and closed the rest transforming them into depots. They destroyed a huge number of very valuable and unique pieces of architecture. But Russia was a very religious country for centuries and centuries, so the government needed to replace Christmas (the major holiday for Russians along with Easter) by something. Hence, the New Year's Day that became a major country's holiday. So, the presents, the festive dinner as well as the decorated tree - all of this became the atributes of the New Year's Day. Even Santa Claus. But you can't erase traditions that prevailed for centuries. Russians celebrated Christmas secretly, and now that this horrible period of time is history for us and we can live freely, Christmas is revived and celebrated openly and vastly by the whole country.

Monsoon said...

Momiji: You DID express yourself clearly, it was more like me NOT reading properly. Sorry!

Thank you for sharing that history about your country dear. We do learn about the Soviet Union here, about all the politcal stuff, and all the hjorrors, and som on. But every day life, how it affected you as a people on a personal level, that we don't learn. I am a histroy freak, and so I love to hear things like that. So again; thank you so much! Yes, I can imagine how wonderful it must be to be released from that iron carpet and restrictive era. I ahve a friend from Poland, and she was 123 when Poland was "freed". She remembers well that time...

Also like I've said before; I would so love to go to Russsia. So much culture and history to be discovered there!! I have never been to france either, soo....

I am glad to have met you here Lilie! I adore your name by the way!

Love Eilen xxx

Anonymous said...

Thank you, dear, for all your warm words! You made me blush!
I love history too! And I would love to go to your country too. You know how much I love North, and snow and cold weather! lol Seriously, in fact, my grandfather, who travelled a lot (he was a heart sergeon), went a lot to Oslo where he worked with Norwegean doctors. And each time he went, he brought back to me a... troll :) So I have a collection of them and I just love them. So I would love to go there one day!
As to your coming to either France or Russia - you are most welcome! Let me know if ever you decide on either, and I can meet you and take around if you wish!

Love,
Lilie

Shahrzad said...

hi dear friend,*HUG*

Thanks for dropping by, I wasn't around for a few days...
hmm...wow...I should watch that movie, haven't seen that one.*wink*
Your friend looks very much like you, maybe that's why you two have so much in common.*wink*
Wish you both happy days.*HUG*

Shahrzad

Monsoon said...

Hi!

Yes, for some reason you seem to like the cold. The very same cold I despise... However; there is no sign of any snow here, with degrees up to 12 degrees centigrades. Not your typical December, not even here on the south-west coast. Lilie, if you ever want to go to Norway let me know. My house is wide open for you! And I will of course contact you should I go to either France or Russia.

Wow, your dad was a heart surgeon. That is like really heavy duty and "particular" work. You must be proud of him!

Hugs Eilen

Monsoon said...

Shahrzad: Hey! Nice to see you! Yes, that film is soo nce and cute... From the 70's though...

As for me and Stina looking like each other. We might look similar on photos, but we don't look anything like the same in reality. Except one thing; we both have high cheek bones and big soft cheeks... Other than that, not so much. But, hey, cool that you think so. Tji hi!

Hugs to you too!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest!

Sorry for not reply you yet but I had no time.
I hope to talk with you today in msn.

My exam was fine: 30 + /30 :) It's the maximum, so I'm glad.

What about you? Ready for Christmas?

I must suggest you a wonderful movie, I will talk about it in msn but you will find something also in my blog today :p


Kisses.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Laura

So long, farewell! said...

Remember a while ago we were singing the praises of swearing? Well I saw this recently and thought of you :o)

Happy Swearing!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJP5aeSo4Y

NINANINA said...

ha ha the Christmas BOOTS are so ugly/TACKY yet they are great. Can you imagine a free FULL of these boots? yes - sometimes a vast tackiness about Christmas... like when people keep decorations up all year around ! On the other hand, have a beautiful Christmas... you, your family and your pets.