Thursday, November 23, 2006

Gobsmacked

Yea! Inter won 1-0 yesterday’s match in Champions League. So happy! According to me they’re now in second place in the standing. I wish I could have seen Crespo’s goal. Look at him go.

Had a good day at Uni. We had psychology and law. Law seems really interesting. Never thought so, but it makes a lot of sense to learn it. I mean we basically work with the law in our hand. A lot of the decisions we make are based upon the laws. Good teacher too. Tomorrow we start sociology. It’ll be interesting, I think.

I have a girl from Africa in my “small work group” at Uni (5 people), and we have talked from time to time. Her name is Marie José. Today we talked a lot. I asked her, unknowingly, where she came from, and why she moved to Norway. She then said she was from Burundi, and that she moved to Norway because her whole family had been brutally killed in the war. Well except her and one uncle…. Jesus, I was gobsmacked! I told her, in all honesty, that this had me totally speechless and that I didn’t know what to say. She said that that was ok, and continued with; what can you say? I then said that no, what could I say? There is no way I could begin to comprehend even an inch of what that has done to you. She told me more about what she had to watch, and that she was only 9 years old in 1993, when it all started. Apparently it was ethnic cleansing too. Reminded her of Hitler’s Germany she said.

It got us talking and discussing the (classic) imperialism that took place in Africa between 1870 and 1913. An era we should be embarrassed about, in a big way. It is revolting what happened. I really think that so much of what the white people did there have caused a lot of the trouble Africa has with civil wars, guerrillas, genocides, starvation, and so on. They were forced to produce only what the white man needed. This of course led to difficulties in becoming autarkic. (or is it self-supported it is called?!) They were oppressed, killed, plundered, and exploited. When the colonists divided the country they did it almost with a ruler. No races/tribes, culture, languages or religion were taken into consideration when the division took place. Their only interests were power and land/colonies.

Ok, I will shut it now; I could go on forever you see. I have a huge interest and pre-occupation in this topic. I see it as our duty to learn from history. Especially the really dark sides of it like this. For three main reasons; to better understand the world we live in, to try not to make the same mistakes, and to pass on the knowledge. Well, this is mainly my view.

It is soon that time of the month, which means I am in my usual sexy mood because of that. And; as usual it is totally wasted. *lol* Well not entirely of course. It is nice to feel like that, so… All my senses are sharpened, both bad and good. I even listen to music in a different way than normal. Strange I think.

Enough!

Leave with this: How true eh!? Hihi…


Monsoon :-)

7 comments:

Eva said...

Hello my darling!
Looking farward to tomorrow! Cant wait spending time with you again!
Glad to hear that you had a good day at the UNI today!

I'm soon going to bed, I'm taking my parents to the airport, you know!
They will be here no later than 0545... IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!! All I do for my parents

See you tomorrow...
LOVE YOU
Eva

Shahrzad said...

hi dear friend,

wow...quite a history class.That's really great.*HUG*
I love to learn more.*another hug*
lol...where did you find that ending pic.?LOL...

Monsoon said...

Eva: Can't wait to see you too! It's been too long. Love you too.

Shahrzad: *blushing*, yes, I love history soo much! I got a bit carried away.
I can't remember where I found it actually.

Love Monsoon :-)

Deepak Gopi said...

Hi:) My favorite subject was history:):)
good day

So long, farewell! said...

What an amazing story from your classmate. I used to work with refugees and heard stories that shook me to the core - and all in the name of Ethnic Cleansing *shakes head sadly*.

As you know Captain Fantastic is Afro Hispanic and Jewish so our daughter will be a proper cultural melting pot and I pray that there is more tolerance in the world when she is growing up.

Hope you have a great weekend - the footballers are very pleasing on the eye!

xxx

Monsoon said...

Deepak: Mine too, always was! Well that and English as well. Good day to you too!

Moxie: Yeah isn't terrible. leaves me totally speechless. I can imagine taht working with refugees would give you some horrible insights. *chills*

Have a great weekend you too, and Captain Fantastic too!

Love Monsoon

Anonymous said...

Finally I entered your blog! I still don't know why it didn't work before...bah...

Are you fine??

Hugs, Laura