Monday, December 05, 2005

Muisc, who can live without it?

When times are hard I turn to music for comfort. When I am happy I use music to express the joy within. When I’m sad I listen to the lyrics which make me cry, so that if I want to, I can cry unabashedly… (Usually I don’t want to cry for long, because, oh my god, I look like crap after a good cry) I like music that tares my heart wide open and makes me really FEEL what I am, and who I am. Like right now I’m listening to music just to feel it flowing around me. The lyrics, the rhythm, the guitars, the base, the drums, the voice, it all grabs me.
Right now I am listening to one of my absolute favourites; “The Who”, and a song which means a lot to me. It’s called “Bargain”. I have enjoyed The Who’s music since I was 17, but I truly started to love the music at the age of 18. I then had a boyfriend who was 39, and therefore also liked “older” music. He taught me to like Who, Doors, Supertramp, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix + more. I am grateful for that!

I have had a tough autumn, with a lot of heartache and sorrow. I have learned one thing from these experiences; never underestimate the power of a good song. Sometimes I have felt like writing to these geniuses to tell them how their songs make me feel.
Take for example Coldplay’s song “fix you”. “Tears stream down your face…” Oh yes they do from time to time. It is a beautiful song, and if I want to cry I put it on. It makes me weep if I am in that mood.

U2’s “With or without you”. Quiet desperation. U2 is my all time favourite I have to admit. Bono’s voice has stayed with me for 17 years, and he probably will continue to do so until I am no longer here. At my funeral I want their song “exit” to be played. (yeah I am weird for having that planned already…:-) What a song!! U2 has everything according to me. And above all; they have a desperation that never seems to end. It just takes you higher and higher, until you can’t do anything else but to lift your hands up high, close your eyes, look upwards and let yourself be taken elsewhere…

No comments: