Monday, March 27, 2006

Fancy an amputation?

Love is a serious mental disease - Plato

I said I was going to write about the other program I saw yesterday. First I want to say this: I am not here to judge, I am just shocked...

The program featured one man and one woman who both had a somewhat extreme wish. They felt that their body wasn't entirely their own. The woman meant that her body stopped just above the knee on each leg, and she wanted them amputated. The man thought his right leg, above the knee, wasn't part of him, and he wanted it amputated. It is called body dysmorphia.

They had had these sensations since they were very young, since before starting school. To them their legs were intruders, and alienlike. The man was being questioned by a psychiatrist who asked him would this go away without surgery. The man replied: " I have had this obsession, this feeling of an inadequate body for 50 years now, do you think it will pass?" The psychiatrist recommended that this man should be given the opportunity to amputate his right leg, just above the knee. The woman didn't get the recommendation, cause at this point two legs were a bit over the top...

I can't say that I understand this, not on any level. But these persons weren't psychotic or mentally ill in any way, but then;

What is this? What causes intelligent people to want to become crippled and dependent on others for the rest of their lives? To maybe sit in a wheelchair? To not be able to do what they could before? The urge that the legs/s aren't a part of them must me severely strong. It most likely consumes them and their whole existence.

How horrible it must be. Who can you talk to? Who will understand, and who can understand even if one wishes to? It's too surreal for most people to be able to comprehend.

Suddenly my bisexuality doesn't sound so "weird" after all. Deviant, yes, but at least I am deviant in a way that leaves me whole, literally speaking...

This world contains a vast quantity of humans that aren't so-called normal. They might possess one, two or numerous "side show qualities". I know I do! *lol*

But then we might ask us; what indeed is normal? To me every person is normal. Why? This is why: Because what is normal within me, is normal to me. What is normal within my mum, for instance, is normal to her. And so on... We all have our weird sides, ideas, thoughts, cravings, sexual urges, dreams, and hopes. But for many of us the most extreme stays within ourselves, and we never tell a living soul.

If people want to be amputated, I say; let them. After being thoroughly contemplated, and finding out that they are sane. What is it to me to say no. Have I walked a mile in their shoes and experienced how it must feel? No. We do operate transsexuals don't we? They want to add and remove parts of their bodies to become the person they need to be; a different sex. Might not be entirely the same, but not all different either. It's about helping someone to become "whole". A bit ironic though, that in order to become whole these persons need to become not whole... Hmm...

I don't know. It is a difficult thing, where to draw the line? The pros and cons... (of hitch hiking) I just know that I feel for these people. They must be lonely in their thoughts...

Woo hoo, tonight it's "Pride and Prejudice" time again. I love that series. It has everything, plus a good looking Mr. Darcy. If a man was to ever look at me that way, with such love and intensity; I would quietly swoon I think.

I am getting my hair cut tomorrow after school, and coming weekend I will get it highlighted too. I have to try to look good for the wedding you know.

And one last thing: Bob... need I say more? No I think that would suffice.

Monsoon xxx

No comments: