Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sometimes I am weird

Yeah I am. Ok, this is the story. No "biggy" at all...

Many years ago I found a coin on the street at the place where I live. It was to me a very special coin to find. I have been insanely preoccupied with all things related to WW2, since forever, and this coin was from 1942. In addition, it was a 10 pfennig from the "German Third Reich". It has the eagle and the swastika. A piece of history, and a piece of something that no longer excits. (Thanks be to God!) During the past 10 years or so I have thought the coin lost. I couldn't find it, and I blamed all my moving. (As I have moved to Ireland and back twice, and also moved to Oslo etc. etc.) Then, three weeks ago I sat in my mum's kitchen. She turned around and asked me: "Eilen, can you see what year it says here?" When I saw it I nearly shouted out; My "Hitler coin"!! I got so thrilled. I couldn't believe that during all these years it had been sitting in my mum's kitchen in a little box. But, at last: the 10 pfennig is back with me, and I am really glad that it is. Funny thing; it smells strongly of perfume... Strange. And it's not my perfume. :-)

My point to this was: Is it a bit weird to be 31 and getting over-happy by a tiny thing like this? Most likely... It is not worth much, but to me it is priceless.

It's just like the letters my family has from my relative who fought for USA in WW1. He emigrated to the states in 1911, and fought in the Toul area. In his letters he tells about his horrible experiences. It feels so real, so vivid, to read these pages of history. It's the handwriting of someone who is from my place, Vigrestad, and who fought in this terrible war. He talks about the trenches, the bombings, the terror, the loneliness of loosing ones company, the piercing hunger which even resulted in eating food found in the German "areas". (and this was illegal as they were afraid that this food would be poisoned) I went into the web page of "Ellis Island org", and I was able to find scanned images of the original papers from when he entered the USA through Ellis island on April 19th 1911. It says: List or manifest of alien passengers for the United States Immigration office... And then all the passengers from this particular crossing and ship, Oscar II, are tested for various diseases and more. All this is written on these pages. Oh, it's all so exciting!!!

In 1999, I was on holidays in New York. Fantastic! Me and my friend Irene, spent 7 hours at the Ellis island" museum. I wanted to stay longer, but the last boat back to Manhattan was leaving, so... The buildings have been renovated, and it's the best museum trip I have ever been to. No doubt. I wasn't bored for one tiny second, because everything was incredibly exhilarating.

At school today I asked one of my teachers if he had had a good winter break. His answer was this: "Well, you know. A bit trouble, a lot of stirrings and stuff. During the break I suddenly lost myself a marriage". Oh my God, I felt so stupid! Poor man. But I wasn't to know. We talked a little about relationships and how to get through something like that. Luckily he didn't find me a complete idiot for asking. He is very nice.
Oh and yeah. During the winter break I dreamt that I had this really passionate sex with this very same teacher. I felt that he knew when I saw him today, and I blushed just thinking about it. God, how typical of me. Dreams very similar to this one, only with different people, I've had tons of times. What's up with that? It's not that I fancy these people for real...

Dreading the test on Friday. But I will have to survive it.

Monsoon :-)

No comments: