Hey, if anyone has any WW2 books to recommend, please let me know. Or other historical books, for that matter. History is really one huge thing in my life, and I never stop craving knowledge. There is no better way of understanding the present, than to know your history well… Sadly, many people beg to differ. They think it is boring. How can anyone find history boring? I don’t get that at all… I blame it on bad teaching, or not necessarily bad… Perhaps tedious and indifferent teaching is a more accurate description. A bit of enthusiasm and inspiring lectures will make a huge difference.
Also I have started to read a different book, one that I hope will open my eyes, and get me to cop on…
Talked to my friend, who works with Bob, and he told me they were all going out to see an Ibsen play coming Friday. First of all; lucky he who gets to spend time with Mr. Magnificent, and second of all, it reminded me of what my life is lacking. Truth is; I haven’t seen a play in ages; I haven’t been to a concert in ages either. Museum, what is that? Art gallery, hmm? Can you actually find one? I simply must expand my horizons. Whilst living in both Dublin and Oslo I frequently went to so-called cultural events, and I love these things. Why don’t I ever do any of them then? Never doing any of the above makes me feel totally daft, you know…
This same friend asked me today if I was up for a night at my place in the near future. Of course I was. It will be me and him, some drinking and a Roger Waters DVD. In addition; DVDs of The Who, Alanis and U2 too. Can’t wait, it will surely be terrific. We can talk for hours. The only thing which is a bit difficult is that I can’t tell him about Bob. I feel so dishonest, but I could never tell him. Don’t want to cause trouble or unpleasantness for Bob… Bob, what a man! Sigh…
I have talked to Laura, my Italian friend for an hour at least, on Msn. She is really fabulous!! I can’t wait to go to visit her some day. She lives near Milan and goes to Uni there. Woo hoo! I could catch an Inter match at the same time.
Is this where I am heading!? Crazy cat lady? *hihihi* I am merely joking...

I remember that in 1999 I wrote something in my diary, and I just have to share. Was I somewhat upset with my life? Nooo! Feeling sorry for myself much?! Lucky for me Inger Marie (ex) showed up one month after this, so I guess I wasn't that sad a case after all... *lol*
Excerpt from my diary, translated as best I could into English:
"I am so pissed off at myself at the moment, plus I am sick and tired of being alone. I need someone in my life. God I hate my life. I am sure I will live alone in an abandoned cottage in the woods, only having sex with myself, for the rest of my life. I live there with my 17 cats and some hens...
I am one of them lone wolfs that the kids whisper about, and are scared stiff of, because they think I am a witch. Everybody else has someone, and yet, the only thing that drools around me is Guri, the neighbour’s dog. Sex, what is that? I haven’t had sex in such a long time, I am sure cobwebs are growing where it shouldn’t… Ok, solo sex, a lot, but that’s not the same… far from it. God I am pathetic."
*laughing* Ones diary can really contain some dimwit and weird thoughts... hehe...
Monsoon - who certainly is a whole lot more positive towards both self and life now - ;)
8 comments:
hi there,
Nothing is more great that reading books, I just love it.
Don't worry about being left alone, I'm sure you'll find your true love very soon. He should be somewhere around. Just wait and see.*wink*
Wish you the best.
Hi!
No I am not afraid of being alone, I am just kinda kidding with my singleness... *lol* I find it important to be able to joke around with myself... I have found the one, but he is occupied somewhere else, unfortunately. But, I am sure someone great will turn up.
Monsoon ;-)
We'll not even touch my diary.
I have a good book about WW2 but cannot remember the name of it at the moment. Remind me and I'll send you the title.
Oh and I'm still working on your music list. I'm slack!
Hi monsoon!
Thought I'd drop you a comment on the history topic:
Definitely, how it is taught in school makes a big difference! My teachers sucked, the [malaysian history] curriculum sucked... to me history was just a collection of dates and names to be memorised, and I refused to have anything to do with it unless i *had* to.
But later on, growing more mature, more aware of what's going on in the world, I realised that a true understanding of the sh*t going on in the world today can only be achieved if you understand what happened in the past! So I've made some forays into some aspects of world history. I still have my reflex reaction to go blank/freeze at the thought of consuming anything historical, though!
One thing I've found that helps a lot is reading historical novels [Paul Rutherford's London, for example] where a lot of real history is folded into an engaging storyline.
One thing you might like is a series of "What If?" where historians speculate on how things would have been different if something in our past had happened differently [the usual one would be if a war had ended differently, but there are other aspects too].
Cheers!
*lynne*
(http://www.azlynne1972.blogspot.com)
Uh, Elise Wiesel? Yup, think you've gone just a tad bonk
Elise Wiesel? Um, no offense or anything, but I think you've gone a tad bonkers over the keyboard... Not sure how I should take that...
*kidding, obv*
Huggies
Elise
I would just like to say that I have just finshed reading Kite Runner and I must recommend it to anyone who is a history buff. You will learn so much. Another such of history is Sold and it has to relate to women, and how they as treated in foreign countries to this day. Hope you enjoy these books!!!!
Post a Comment