
One of my favourite U2 pictures, and eras for that matter; Rattle and Hum
Ok, I can’t let this day pass without talking a bit about one of the most influential and best bands in history; namely U2. My esteemed friend Irene brought to my attention that it was their 3oth Anniversary today. Congrats Bono, Larry, Adam and Edge! Don’t quit your day job!
On the 25th of September 1976 “U2” was formed. It all started in Mount Joy Comprehensive School in Clontarf, Dublin, when Larry Mullen Junior hung a note to seek members for a band. He was 14 at the time, and he didn’t know then what he had started… The group was first called Feedback, then The Hype, and they eventually changed it to the all too familiar U2. The rest is basically history… I once heard someone say: “While everybody else was busy fighting to become the world’s greatest rock band, U2 quietly went ahead and became it”.
U2 has meant so much to me, that it is hard to describe it. I will never forget the day I heard my first U2 song, and by that I mean really heard it. I was 14, and the song was “Party girl”, from “Under a blood red sky” – Live at red rocks in 1983. I was hooked. But I remember that I felt a bit of an outsider, as no one else liked this utterly noisy, and apparently unorganized, music. Everybody else was into Kylie, Rick Astley, A-ha, Bros, Tiffany, and of course tons more of 80’s pop bands. And there I was, digging this punk-like band, with three cords and the truth, eh!? Lucky for me I was able to convince one of my best friend’s at the time, and now, Rønnaug, to like them as well. This was two years later. We were the only ones at our Junior High school to like the music of U2, Deep purple, Waterboys, Supertramp and so on. (The Who came one year later) We detested music from Stock Aitken Waterman, and called it “tube music”. Don’t ask me why. I suppose we thought we held the only truth within the taste of music. *lol*
It is with U2, as it is with other great bands; you never ever tire from hearing the same songs over and over again. I wonder how many times I have heard “I will follow” for instance. And it is incredible how one can memorize 20 different versions of one song, and even notice the tiniest of variations in them. One single note, one single riff can fully change a whole song for me. That’s how profoundly I listen to music, and I am sure many of you can agree to that.
I dare to say that this is one of the most powerful images ever featured on a cover of a record.

Well hello there, mmmm...

One more thing, my Bono autograph, which is on a ATM withdrawal receipt. I got it outside Grand Hotel in Oslo on July 28th 1993.

Monsoon :-)
7 comments:
Booooooooooooono! (Say no more!)
Man, can't believe they're already celebrating their 30th anniversary! Almost scary. I mean, it's awesome, but still kinda scary.
Great pics! But I have to say on a personal note that even though the Stock Aitken Waterman and sugar-coated poppy tunes are rather too teeny-bopper-ish, I still find them catchy.
Dunno. It's uplifting. Sometimes you're just up for some seriously "cute" stuff.
Please don't hit me. Or call me a b****, or whatever. Spanish flashback, anyone?
Anyway, this comment has become too long. Abrazos para mi amiga querida! Hablémos!!!
Elise
Hi there,
Yes, Booooono... hehe...
I am sorry Elise, but I changed and deleted my first outline of this post, and in so I deleted your comment. I took the liberty to copy it, and put it in once more.
As for calling you a bitch, I am so sorry. I don't know where that came from. And in the middle of the Spanish class. Terje must have thought me for a nutcase... God!
Si, hablémos, seguro!!
Abrazos Eilen xxx
By the way; Stock aitken waterman isn't that much hated now. It was just when I was at that particular age you see... Well, still not my favourite music, buuut....
I played some U2 with my pupils today, due to the fact that there's an article about Bono in the textbook (his quest to save the world etc) Most of them were to immmature to appreciate them, of course
Hee, yeah, I've already forgiven you for that incident, so no need to apologize. :)
By the way, in reference to an earlier blog entry of yours, I thought it was "salty banana screams" rather than "fried" such. But you've always had all kinds of varieties of the same thing, so never mind. Po-tay-to, po-ta-to, to-may-to, to-ma-to, ya know.
While we're on the topic of absurd exclamations, another fantastic one is "(O) ye green tomato" ("Du grønne tomat"). Just thought I'd mention that. Cannot top "fried banana screams" (or any other similar term), but it's still pretty catchy. Hm, suddenly I felt this urge for deep-fried bananas and vanilla ice-cream (the real thing with the little black seeds in it)... I blame your blog entry!!! ;)
Sarcasm, thy name is Elise.
Pampers,
Elise
Happy Anniversary U2 :o)
Moxie
xxx
Elise: Sometimes it is fried banana screams, sometimes it's salty banana screams... It depends. *lol*
Yeah I know I have a lot of weird sayings...
As for deep fried bananas, yup I'd love some myself, dipped in syrup as well... *watery mouth here*
Eilen
Post a Comment